I recently became addicted to Jon Stewart from The Daily Show. It's ALL Morna's fault! (See her links in the middle column with the blogs I endorse, Bittersweet and Wrapped in the Flag.) We are in a big mess here in these United States and we have probably had it coming for a long time. But, that doesn't take away from the anxiety we all feel as we look forward to a probable bleak future (so, why not relieve some of that with someone like Jon Stewart or Colbert?)
A friend sent me an e-mail when this whole mess became public that one way to solve the crisis would be to split this money that Congress is asking for and divvy it up among all American citizens over 18 years old. His math came out to around $400,000 per citizen. It would be even more now that they've tacked on this extra money. His theory was that we would spend it which would get the economy back on track. I laughed, forwarded it to a couple of people and then deleted it. But, I keep thinking about it. Hmmmmmmmm....... What WOULD I do if $400K landed on my lap?
Well, let's see.... I would:
- Pay off my debts: $40K
- Buy a house: $80K
- Put some in savings: $100K
- Fix my car: $2K
- Buy a new hose for my vaccuum cleaner: $20
- Get my dogs checked out at the vet: $400
- Let my husband start his dream restaurant: $50K
- Get my business going in the direction I want it to: $40K
- Give some to some friends that are struggling (not in the US): $50K
- Get a new computer: $2K
- Buy health insurance for us: $4K
And, that would be enough to keep us busy and happy for awhile. Doesn't that make much more sense?
What would YOU do with $400K?